It is now January 3rd, and the New Year's resolutions should be well in place. Oh! You didn't make any resolutions this year? Hmm...what about goals? Or even...objectives? No? Ooookay...so what now...you're just going to go with the flow for the year? That could be pretty interesting...or disasterous.
All kidding aside, do you make resolutions for the coming year? I stopped many years ago when I finally realized I wasn't keeping them at all, so why bother making them? But I do have goals, not all of which get met, but some do, and sometimes the objectives leading to the goal get met. At least that keeps me satisfied, if not happy.
So this year I've set 8 goals for myself:
1. Finish my last novel course and the historical novel I've been researching and writing for the last 3 years. ( Only about 11 months in the novel course.)
2. Get back on track in sending out queries to both agents and publishers.
3. Become consistent again in writing my blog. I was very good about it when I first started, but then let both the course and life's not always amusing twists get in the way.
4. Begin editing and revising Lily Leticia Langford and The Book of Practical Magic.
5. Finish Celine's story ( the antagonist in my first novel is now the protagonist in her own novel.)
6. Outline ( ugh) or write down good notes for the 4 new ideas for novels I have: a) girl has disability, poses as a "freak" in the carnival show run by her parents, goes to new small town and uncovers a murder mystery that the whole town is involved in; b) girls in a private school have a "hate book," girl is murdered, her name is in the book; c) girl starts bullying her best friend in order to start high school as part of the "Snob Mob."; and d) a rewrite of Beauty and the Beast...this is one that's been on my mind for a long time, and it definitely has a twist to it.
7. Begin sending out the short stories I have languishing in my computer, and get busy with all the NF ideas I have.
8. Possibly set up a website, but that won't be until the end of the year, and is totally dependent upon how well I meet my goal of being consistent with this blog.
So, these are my goals for the new year, 2011. My husband tells me I'm very ambitious, but I honestly believe these are all within my capability. If I fail to meet them, or any one of them, it's all on my head.
What are the goals you've set for yourself for 2011?
Let me know.
That's a wrap.